College/University Membership Benefits Students
You want your students to have the best possible education experience, inside and outside the classroom. Joining AAUW as a college/university member is a great way to give them that. From scholarships to salary negotiation, AAUW can offer your students unique ways to act, lead, and connect with a community of more than 170,000 members.
Join UsSee If Your School Is a C/U Member
Enroll Your School as a C/U Member
Sign Up Your Students as Student Associates
Don’t take our word for it — ask Laura Hernandez, a student at one of AAUW’s more than 800 college/university members.
As a member of the AAUW National Student Advisory Council, Hernandez had a hand in AAUW’s campus impact. From helping organize the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL) to promoting our mission on Florida International University’s campus, she is making a difference and changing her campus climate. After an internship where she worked to end sex trafficking in her community, Hernandez followed her passion and gained real-world experience with AAUW as a public policy intern, where she attended Hill briefings, wrote legislative updates, and lobbied for women’s issues. Thanks to AAUW, Hernandez’s résumé is ready to stand out!
Your students can follow in Hernandez’s footsteps by taking advantage of everything AAUW has to offer. Here’s a look at how we can help students on your campus:
Fund Their Education
The rising cost of tuition makes it hard for students to pursue higher education. We help women overcome this barrier.
- We invest more than $3.7 million each year in fellowships and grants for women students pursuing graduate and doctoral study and community programs.
- AAUW branches offer undergraduate scholarships to women in their communities.
- Students can also apply for local and national scholarships to attend the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders.
Build Their Leadership Edge
Give your students the opportunity to learn new skills, network with each other, and hear from inspiring trailblazers.
- Send your students to the annual NCCWSL leadership conference that empowers women leaders from across the globe.
- Recommend students for a spot on our selective National Student Advisory Council. Each year 10 students serve as AAUW ambassadors on their campuses and advise AAUW on the needs of college students.
Empower Them to Become Campus Change Agents
Encourage your students to put their ideas into action!
- You and your students can apply for up to $5,000 through Campus Action Project grants, which fund gender equity projects based on AAUW research.
- Students who want to host a campus event on unfair pay, sexual harassment and assault, Title IX, and other sex discrimination topics can apply for an AAUW Campus Outreach Program grant.
- Students can also join or start an AAUW student organization. AAUW student organizations offer a unique, global community for students who want to empower women by fighting for the gender equity issues they care about.
Help Them Gain Real-World Experience
Get them ready for graduate studies and the working world.
- Bring an AAUW Start Smart salary negotiation workshop to your campus to teach college women about negotiating salaries and benefits — one key part of closing the gender pay gap.
- Students can prepare for careers in public policy, communications, development, and more by applying for an AAUW internship.
- Help them prepare for the next step after graduation by attending the NCCWSL Graduate School Fair and Career Fair!
Connect Them with a Community
When your college or university joins AAUW, you connect students with a global community of 170,000 potential advisers, mentors, and supporters from all walks of life. You can give your student body free student association if you are an AAUW member institution!
Undergraduates or degree-seeking graduates enrolled in full-time or part-time programs at AAUW C/U member institutions may join and renew at no cost with automatic renewal through graduation. Undergraduates or degree-seeking graduates enrolled in full-time or part-time programs at non-AAUW C/U member institutions may join and renew at a rate of $18.81 through graduation. A portion of the dues is tax deductible.
After graduation students can go on to join a local AAUW branch or Younger Women’s Task Force chapter. And of course anyone in our community can connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram to get involved and spread AAUW’s message!
n a world where the qualities of leadership are most often defined by men, how do we encourage more women to dare to become leaders?
This is what happens when young people call out racism and sexism in their community. I dare you to walk away uninspired!
At AAUW, a huge part of our work is for you, college students who are empowering women on your campuses and in your community. Here are our top six reasons for you to join.