AAUW is looking for a Federal Policy Manager
The American Association of University Women (AAUW), a gender equity advocacy organization, is one of the nation’s leading voices promoting equity and education for women and girls and empowering them to reach their highest potential. What began in 1881 as a group of 17 like-minded women has grown into a powerful grassroots network with more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and more than 800 college and university partners across the United States.
Summary Description: Working with the Director of Public Policy & Legal Advocacy, the Federal Policy Manager is responsible for the day-to-day oversight and implementation of AAUW’s federal government relations strategy. The Manager will serve as an AAUW representative on Capitol Hill and to the executive branch and ensure that AAUW’s federal policy agenda meets AAUW’s strategic goals to advance equity for women and girls.
- In collaboration with the Director of Public Policy & Legal Advocacy, develops proactive and effective legislative and executive branch strategies to advance AAUW federal policy priorities, both independently and in coalition.
- Manages the regular, timely and strategic lobbying of Congress and the executive branch on AAUW’s priority issues. Develops and maintains bipartisan relationships with key offices, agencies, and committees; writes letters to members of Congress to explain AAUW’s positions and to urge them to support or oppose legislation; calls and visits congressional offices to ask members of Congress positions and/or to seek support of AAUW’s positions.
- Contributes to the research, drafting and submission of testimony to be submitted to Congress and comments to federal agencies.
- Researches and analyzes AAUW public policy issues based on AAUW’s Public Policy Priorities. Develops and updates position papers and fact sheets; contributes to the research and drafting of policy recommendations in AAUW research reports.
- Develops and maintains relationships with coalition partners. Evaluates coalition material for possible support when consistent with AAUW priorities.
- Collaborates with field staff in strategically activating AAUW member support to engage in the legislative process on priority federal issues.
- Coordinates AAUW Action Fund Lobby Corps’ visits to Capitol Hill, including writing, revising and producing packets of material distributed to Members of Congress, and coordinating Lobby Corps activities, events, and trainings.
- Manages AAUW’s government relations management platform (Quorum) and in conjunction with field staff, utilizes AAUW’s federal advocacy platform (EveryAction).
- Assists in writing and editing content for AAUW’s website, electronic communications and publications.
- Speaks at AAUW events, congressional briefings, conferences and coalition and other outside meetings.
- Provides responses to press inquiries as assigned, in coordination with the organization’s comprehensive communications strategy.
- In collaboration with field staff, coordinates Voter Education and Get Out The Vote work.
- Submits federal lobbying reports and compliance monitoring for the public policy activities of both AAUW, Inc. and AAUW Action Fund, Inc.
- Acts as an active supporter and participant in a collegial and productive work environment.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus.
- Three to five years of experience in federal legislative process and strategy.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals and objectives.
- Expertise in employment, education and other gender equity policy issues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information.
- Ability to work both independently as well as collegially and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to foster an inclusive and innovative culture in which multiple perspectives are considered.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook government relations management platforms, such as Quorum, and knowledge of advocacy CRMs such as EveryAction a plus.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends as required.
Compensation and Location:
The salary range for this position is $65,000 to $73,000 contingent on relevant experience and it is offered along with a competitive benefits package. The position is based in Washington, DC.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating position title (Manager of Federal Policy) to email@example.com.